M south indian.Are sore throats caused by some viruses.Will hot salt water gargling cures this sore throat by killing this viruses?

Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: See below

Hot salt water gargling will definitely help.
It is one of the best initial treatments. However, it won't kill the virus. Your immune system does that. Gargling will clear out the mucus and contaminants from the air that get trapped. This can lead to discomfort, frequent coughing, and even secondary infections sometimes. Even if bacterial and you need antibiotics, I strongly recommend gargling.

In brief: See below

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Milton Mintz
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Yes viruses could

Be involved. Dought that salt water would help.
Bacteria also could be involved. If persistent or accompanied by fever see your pcp.

In brief: Yes viruses could

Dr. Milton Mintz
Dr. Milton Mintz
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Hot salt water gargling will definitely help. It is one of the best initial treatments. However, it won't kill the virus. Your immune system does that. Gargling will clear out the mucus and contaminants from the air that get trapped. This can lead to discomfort, frequent coughing, and even secondary infections sometimes. Even if bacterial and you need antibiotics, I strongly recommend gargling.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine