Why does it sound like my jaw is breaking when I bite down on an old crown? Not loose/feels ok.

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Hard to say

It could be a problem with the crown, or the substructure of the crown, or the tooth itself.
Or it could be a grinding sound coming from the joint (tmj). Either way you should see your dentist to evaluate, determine the cause, and discuss your options.

In brief: Hard to say

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Scott Williams
Dentistry

In brief: Jaw or tooth problem

It could actually be your jaw joint or a cracked part of the tooth in a spot you can't feel.
I would recommend having an exam just in case there is a significant problem.

In brief: Jaw or tooth problem

Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. John Cheng

In brief: Loose

It may not be loose on the surface but a crown goes deeper which may be cracked and not visible.

In brief: Loose

Dr. John Cheng
Dr. John Cheng
Dr. Adam Levy