I have cronic Achilles tendonitis. It swells is bruised and red. I have tried everything other than surgery what can they do as for as surgery? Pain!

In brief: Conservative care...

You can try stretching, physical therapy, topical prescription medications, splinting, bracing, casting.
See a conservative doctor for options.

In brief: Conservative care...

See a conservative doctor for options.
Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger

In brief: Alfredson protocol

A specific set of stretching exercises that are very beneficial, in some cases as much as surgery, in the treatment of achilles tendinitis.
Please make sure you have been to a foot and ankle specialist to confirm the diagnosis and ensure that this treatment is appropriate for you.

In brief: Alfredson protocol

Dr. Ernest Isaacson
Dr. Ernest Isaacson
2 comments
Dr. Abby Caplin
You can also try MBT shoes so you don't have to bend the joint. Consult podiatrist.
Dr. Abby Caplin
Sorry! Above comment meant to answer a different question. Please disregard.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine