Do I need to give my baby an iron supplement?

Only Breast Feeding? If your baby is not eating solid food at 4 months of age and is breast feeding.American Academy Of Pediatrics recommend giving Iron Supplement of 11 mgm per day. Because breast milk contains little iron and your babies own iron reserves wont be sufficient to make the difference.Once the baby start eating iron rich foods then probably will not need the supplement.
No. General recommendations are to start a multivitamin with iron early. I do recommend vitamin d starting early but not iron. If mom takes her prenatal vitamins and babies begin to eat iron fortified food after 4 months, i generally do not see a need for iron supplementation. I test children at age one and if anemic, i begin iron supplementation then. Just a slightly different viewpoint.
Yes. If your baby is breast fed i recommend starting polyvisol with iron, 1 dropper per day, for the entire first year of life starting at 1 week. This covers the needs of vitamin d and iron for the breast fed baby. If your baby is formula fed on a fully iron-supplemented formula, additional iron is usually not required.
No. Babies who are breastfeeding or drinking formula do not need additional iron supplements unless advised to do so by the doctor. Healthy normal babies get their blood counts checked between ages 9 and 12 months. If test results show iron-deficiency anemia, the doctor will likely make changes in the diet and/or advise parents to give iron supplements.