People keep telling me this is pretty serious. I have just noticed swelling up my shins from long hours at pc. No prior problem so what would a doctor do for this?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: I must admit I have
No idea what "long hours of pc" might be (personal computer?), but "swelling" may be edema, fluid accumulated.
Push and hold for 30 - 60 seconds, it should leave a mark (pitting edema). This can be a sign of heart or kidney disease. The doctor would take a history, examine you, perhaps do blood, x-ray and urine tests to start, and an ekg. Go.

In brief: I must admit I have
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Mark Pack