What are benefits to a child who is born to older parents?

In brief: Comic Answer

Bwaaa! i had my son at 39, he is now 15, I am 54.
Remember late parenting= teen in puberty while you will be in menopause. Dueling hormones can be an experience. And yes you might be more patient because you will be tired. No worries having my son later has been my best experience ever- really:) I have friends who parented at 42-47- happy parents amazing kids.

In brief: Comic Answer

Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
2 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
I hear ya(ya)!! Friend me on fb to see mine, now a freshman at Cal. (and you can bet I know all the pediatricians near him...) http://www.facebook.com/DrPamelaYoder
Dr. Nicholas Nomicos
The added stability and maturity that normally comes with older parents is a big benefit to growing children. Also, I think it keeps us younger.
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Everything

Older parents are usually more patient.
They have done the career track and are usually happier with themselves. They are often more financially savvy and have planned to save for the child's future. They tend to appreciate all the little accomplishments more. When a child is wanted by any age couple, they have all the benefits a child could want..Love.

In brief: Everything

Older parents are usually more patient.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
3 comments
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
In societies where many young people have children early, grandparents play a much larger role. Either way, children need older, more experienced role models along with younger ones.
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
BWAAA! I had my son at 39, he is now 15, I am 54. Remember late parenting= teen in puberty while you will be in menopause. Dueling hormones can be an experience. And yes you might be more patient be
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: The kids are alright

Depends on ma/pa.
Long awaited, mine has devoted family members in 5 generations. He is midway in age between his cousins and their kids. Though he is a digital native, he was very close to and resembles gps 70 years older (learned to ride bike, play cards, love sports from them). He embodies the best of all gens and has strong relationships with cousins which will go on after ancestors are gone.

In brief: The kids are alright

Depends on ma/pa.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder

In brief: Some downfalls

For the most part is has been wonderful being the daughter of older parents, my parents had me when they were 42.
I had many awesome experiences, travel, education, and opportunities maybe my older siblings did not have. The pitfall is as they get much older it is sad to see them deteriorate. The blessing here is you get to give back to the love and care they gave to you, difficult task at times.

In brief: Some downfalls

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Pam Yoder
To some that is not a pitfall. That is life.
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: GREAT answers

What amazing and wonderful information being shared.
There are pros and cons to everything in life...Windfalls and pitfalls.....Bottom line basics...Do older parents want children? And can anyone say that being born to older parents is worse than not being born at all?

In brief: GREAT answers

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
3 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
Please explain your last statement/question.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Being an older parent should not be construed as a negative when someone wants a child and will love them. I would hope no one would be swayed to not have a child simply because they are older ..I can't imagine anyone who has older parents would ever wish they had not been born...I hope that helps....it is meant to be constructive and supportive....as written it is a bit lacking. Thanks.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: There's good & not

Everything has a plus and a minus at times: older parents are often parents by choice, which may be better (or not).
As an older parent i can say that i "sewed my wild oats" before kids, so now i choose to spend time with them instead. On the down side, some call me my son's grandmother (ugh). Being a good parent is doing it when it's right for you - and doing the best you can at any age.

In brief: There's good & not

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Possibly more wanted

Older parents are more likely to be certain about wanting a child, who possibly will recieve more love and attention.
Will benefit by older parents more likely to accept parenting advice from friends and relatives. Parents are more likely to be financial secure & thus do more for child. Are less likely to move geographically during child's formative years giving child more sense of community.

In brief: Possibly more wanted

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Pam Yoder
NO doubt about being wanted. You must see this every day with your couples facing fertility challenges.
Dr. Cindy Juster