Is it true that the use of fecal enemas is way to treat severe clostridium difficile infections?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Absolutely True
It's amazing, and for some people seems disgusting, but it actually works to recolonize the gut.
The formal name is fecal or stool transplant, and as you say it essentially involves introducing fecal matter from a healthy donor into the gut of a person with c. Diff. Still experimental and not widely used yet. I have condensed a medlineplus link: see http://tinyurl.Com/7r27abk.

In brief: Absolutely True
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Nelson Nicolasora
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Yes.
Most studies albeit not large scale has shown that Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has a success rate of >90% in preventing C diff relapses.
These studies are mostly in relapsing mild to moderate cases. More recently, a study by Arionadis et. al "... FMT for SEVERE of complicated Clostridium difficile infection" DDW 2013; Abstract 998 showed a cure rate of 84% and looks promising.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Nelson Nicolasora
Dr. Nelson Nicolasora
Dr. Christopher Nicora
In brief: C diff
I do not see how this is possible.
I would say this is completely false.

In brief: C diff
I do not see how this is possible.
I would say this is completely false.
Dr. Christopher Nicora
Dr. Christopher Nicora
Dr. John Leander Po
I would seriously review the pathogenesis of C diff associated colitis- I have performed this procedure successfully, and is a known procedure in both the GI and ID specialist communities.
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: It DOES work!
As an infectious diseases specialist, I have performed this procedure successfully.
There is a scientific basis:normal bacteria in feces suppresses c diff. However, abx kill the normal flora and can lead to overgrowth of c diff. Fecal enemas uses stool from the pt's donor in-residence , restoring the "normal" flora in the pt. The risk is obvious: unscreened donor stool may have other germs.

In brief: It DOES work!
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. Jane Van Dis