I'm afraid to take my psychiatric medication. Some people have scared me about the possible side effects with: "you'll feel worse if you taking them!"?

In brief: There is a potential

For side effects with any medication including Aspirin or tylenol (acetaminophen).
This is a trial of medication. If you were to experience intolerable side effects the medication is normally stopped. The bottom line is that you may need the medication to heal. Change can be frightening but is often essential to improve upon your current state. Take care.

In brief: There is a potential

Dr. Mara Fiorentino

In brief: Side effects

Medications may or not cause side effects, depending on the individual case, the medication and the dose prescribed, and other medications being prescribed.
You should not afraid of taking your medications as prescribed. Side effects will happen or not, and will be treated if needed. There are no reasons to believe that you will suffer more of the side effects than the illness being treated.

In brief: Side effects

Dr. Daryl Tanski

In brief: Risk v benefit

Medical conditions cause much suffering and disability.
Psychiatric conditions included. Medical treatments can offer relief or improvement but cone with varying degrees of risk. Psychiatric treatments included. The balance of theses need to be individualized. A doctor can provide information to help make the decision.

In brief: Risk v benefit