Mental health group therapy was awful. I feel really disappointed?

Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Rule of Three's

Attending a mental health group therapy causes stress and anxiety.
I encourage my patients to use my "rule of three's". 1) you will be anxious the first time you attend the group. 2) by the second visit your anxiety lessens as you become familiar with the process. 3) by the third visit you will have acquired enough experience and knowledge to decide if such therapy might be helpful.

In brief: Rule of Three's

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Helpful In Principle

Many have found group therapy helpful.
But many others have found it ineffectual & some have found it unhelpful/traumatic. A long list of factors determine whether a particular group will help its participants, incl: the skill & training of group leader(s); how well people in group were matched for it; the type of struggles the group was designed 4; etc. Clearly you had an awful experience!

In brief: Helpful In Principle

Many have found group therapy helpful.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein
5 comments
Dr. Ana Adelstein
If I were one of leaders of your group, I'd want to know about your experience!
Dr. Ana Adelstein
If I were one of the leaders of your group, I'd want to know about your experience.
Dr. Warren Kriedman

In brief: Do not despair

Group therapy can be very helpful.
The group therapist must screen patients' who are appropriate for the group. Often there are patients who need individual therapy as the group setting is not helpful. There are many types of group therapy. Patients' must understand if the group will meet their expectations. Try a more appropriate group or an alternative therapy.

In brief: Do not despair

Group therapy can be very helpful.
Dr. Warren Kriedman
Dr. Warren Kriedman
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Great start

Consider bringing your feelings to the group.
You might find that you are not alone in these feelings.

In brief: Great start

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Every group is

Different.
If one was not right for you, talk to the therapist about how you felt. Perhaps there is another group that is better suited to you and your issues. After speaking with the therapist, you may also want to consider trying with another therapist or individual work.

In brief: Every group is

Different.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Group Psyshotherapy

Not sure what kind of group therapy you experienced but it does take time to work and is also an experience that is much more effective after spending time in individual therapy with the same therapist who will lead your group experience.
It is not for everybody but usually advances a person's knowledge of himself and others.Best.

In brief: Group Psyshotherapy

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Marsha Davis