Lump on right breast hurts! do I go to ER this weekend?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See a Breast Surgeon

While the er is an appropriate place to go for many medical emergencies, it is not the first place i would consider for breast evaluation.
I recommend that you contact your ob/gyne or pcp and request a referral to a breast specialist. Most new breast lumps that are painful are cysts that can be easily treated in an office setting.

In brief: See a Breast Surgeon

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
2 comments
Dr. Sean Canale
Nothing bad (re: cancer) would happen or change over a weekend. A symptomatic cyst can be alleviated by aspiration in less than a minute. However, if the pain is not excruciating, most will begin to subside and trend downward over the first 48 hours.
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Wait til Monday ti see for GYN or Primary Care doc for examination and possible mammogram or ultrasound exam...
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Evaluation needed

If this is a new lump and especially if you have risk factors like a family history of breast cancer or the use of estrogens, then you should have this evaluated quickly but it is not an emergency.
You should see your OB gyn or family doctor and initiate the process.

In brief: Evaluation needed

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham