I have Crohn's disease? Am I more susceptible to clostridium difficile infections?

Dr. Philip Rosenblum
In brief: Not really
It is not that you're more susceptible, it's that you are more likely to be treated with antibiotics because of your condition.
As c diff is typically a post-antibiotic illness, you are more likely to experience it. But it's not directly because of crohn's.

In brief: Not really
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Actually, you can get c. difficile infection in the absence of antibiotics. I've seen it many times. This is true for people with IBD, and those that are immune suppressed.
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology
Clostridium difficile risk is increased in anyone with abnormal bowel lining (crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis), and in any one who is immune suppressed.
This includes the medications used to treat crohn's disease. It's very important to wash your hands regularly to prevent infections. Alcohol based cleaners (purell) do not kill c. Difficile spores. Soap/water is still the best thing.

Dr. Jeremy Adler
Dr. Jeremy Adler
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Surgery - Colorectal
Issa m, ananthakrishnan an, binion dg. Source inflammatory bowel disease center, division of gastroenterology and hepatology, medical college of wisconsin, milwaukee, wisconsin 53226, usa.

Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil