What helps recover with a lower back injury? Does a back brace help? I think I have a pulled muscle.

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No braces

Rest nsaids activity modification ; time .
Most first time back strains respond 2 this. If u keep getting worse and/or develop numbness or weakness get in 2 c ur orthopedic surgeon. Braces tend 2 weaken ur back muscles, which prolongs the same problem.

In brief: No braces

Dr. Dennis Giannini
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Exercise, ice, heat

Brace only short term. Gentle range of motion, stretching and walking or any low-impact cardiovascular exercise.
Pain can be relieved with over-the-counter medications like advil or aleve (naproxen). Ice for about 45 minutes will address inflammation and swelling, never apply ice to the skin, always over a towel or clothing. Follow this by heat for about 20-25 minutes to soothe and relax tight muscles.

In brief: Exercise, ice, heat

Dr. Steven Sheskier
A formal back program by a phyiscal therapist will help as well
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Yes and no

I believe the best things to do to recover is to use the brace for a little while, do some exercise for your back and anti-inflammatory mediations.
The use of the back brace all the time is not a good idea.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine