Does color vision noticeably change after undergoing surgery for cataracts?

Dr. Rebecca Dale
Ophthalmology
In brief: Sometimes
It depends on the type of cataract and how dense it was.
I frequently have patients tell me that colors are brighter and more vivid following surgery.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Rebecca Dale
Dr. Rebecca Dale
2 comments
Dr. David Speck
Often, cataracts turn yellow or brown, to the color of tea or coffee, Many of my patients comment on how "blue" or "white" the world has become after removing their cataracts. It makes a big difference when they are no longer looking through a beer bottle.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Cataracts and the natural lens absorb heavily in the blue and violet end of the spectrum. After cataract removal this end of the spectrum is restored and artists tell me that they have to adjust their working palette to compensate. The work of the artist Constable reflects the gradual loss of color when a cataract advances.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology
Yes, the natural cataract typically slowly blunts the color vision and turns it a shade of yellow or amber. This is one of the most common comments i get after cataract surgery.
"the colors are so vivid and bright". Whites are so white out of the surgery eye and then non-surgery eye all colors are dull and a yellow / amber tinge.

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery