Do I have asthma or am I just out of shape, if I can't climb up stairs without breathing very hard?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: How long?
If exertion triggers asthma, the difficulty breathing will last for 15-30 minutes or more.
If it goes away after resting for just one or two minutes, the most likely causes are being out of shape, or some problem with the heart. If you have any type of pain with the shortness of breath, or if it doesn't go away despite an exercise program, you should see your physician.

In brief: How long?
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Need Eval
Your symptoms could be deconditioning or bronchospasm or a host of other things.
The only way to know for sure is to be evaluated by your doctor. If it is anything but deconditioning, you may need treatment.

In brief: Need Eval
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine
In brief: Out of breath
Asthma is a specific respiratory disorder of your lungs.
It is often associated with wheezing. "breathing very hard" may be a sign that you may need to improve both your anaerobic and aerobic threshold and ability.

In brief: Out of breath
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine