Do I have asthma or am I just out of shape, if I can't climb up stairs without breathing very hard?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: How long?

If exertion triggers asthma, the difficulty breathing will last for 15-30 minutes or more.
If it goes away after resting for just one or two minutes, the most likely causes are being out of shape, or some problem with the heart. If you have any type of pain with the shortness of breath, or if it doesn't go away despite an exercise program, you should see your physician.

In brief: How long?

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Need Eval

Your symptoms could be deconditioning or bronchospasm or a host of other things.
The only way to know for sure is to be evaluated by your doctor. If it is anything but deconditioning, you may need treatment.

In brief: Need Eval

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: Out of breath

Asthma is a specific respiratory disorder of your lungs.
It is often associated with wheezing. "breathing very hard" may be a sign that you may need to improve both your anaerobic and aerobic threshold and ability.

In brief: Out of breath

Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Jonathan Jassey