39 years ago i had open heart surgery at the age of 3. Ever since, I have lived with the sensation that my chest will tear apart. Its getting worse.

In brief: Unlikely

What was done? Cured? Or may need additional work.
Good choices: no smoking weight control. Get checked by thoracic surgeon for any instability of bone - sternum. At 39 years should be solid bone unless there was an infection or fibrous non- union and fluid.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Mary Callahan
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Heart surgery

It is unlikely that your heart will come apart especially after having surgery.
Prior to surgery your heart was tested and evaluated, and then the surgery was done. After the surgery you have continued to live an active life and hopefully been followed by physicians, so it is unlikely that your heart would come apart.

In brief: Heart surgery

Dr. Mary Callahan
Dr. Mary Callahan
Dr. Shontae Buffington