Can taking an aspirin a day reduce the risk of heart disease but increase the risk of other disorders?

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Noooo
Asa is very benign drug.
I take it myself and many other mds i know do too. Unless you have bleeding or stomach problems.

In brief: Noooo
Asa is very benign drug.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Yes, indeedy
Aspirin prolongs bleeding time by impairing platelet aggregation.
As such, it reduces the risk of heart attack and clot-type stroke but increases the risk of bleeding elsewhere. Since it also is irritating to the lining of the stomach, gastrointestinal bleeding is a risk. Finally, many studies have shown a small but real risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke especially in hypertensives and women.

In brief: Yes, indeedy
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Tim McDonough
Not everyone should be taking an aspirin for heart attack prevention.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology