Can hay fever cause these swollen eye symptoms?

Yes. Swollen eyes, sometimes called "allergic shiners" can occur from allergies. The conjunctival membrane that essentially "covers" the white part of the eye and eyelid can get inflammed from allergies. The blood vessels that surround the eye can get dilated from the inflammation and cause swelling as well. This leads to the "bluish" discoloration around the eyes.
Yes. Allergic conjunctivitis commonly causes redness, watering, itching and mildly swollen and mildly red eyelids. Over the counter treatments such as an antihistamine or an allergy eye drops such as zaditor (ketotifen) may provide relieve, and cool compresses are also helpful. If symtpoms not relieve, or if vision affected, get it checked out.