I have a history of congenital heart disease, am I more susceptible to getting endocarditis?

Steve Krager

In brief: Depends on defect

Some types of congenital heart disease increase one's risk for infectious endocarditis more than other types.
Congenital heart defects that raise the risk for endocarditis include: bicuspid aortic valve, patent ductus arteriosus, ventricular septal defect, coarctation of the aorta, and tetralogy of fallot.

In brief: Depends on defect

Steve Krager
Steve Krager
Answer assisted by Steve Krager, Medical Student
Dr. Andrew Freeman
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: It depends

Depending on what condition you have and if you have had any surgical correction and how recent some of these repairs may make you more prone to a heart valve infection.
Check with your doctor.

In brief: It depends

Check with your doctor.
Dr. Andrew Freeman
Dr. Andrew Freeman
Dr. Marsha Davis