How young can people be and get diagnosed with thyroid cancer?

Almost any age. While most people who get thyroid cancer are older, it can occur in teenagers and in even those less than 10 years old. Those who have been exposed to radiation (either through radiation treatment for other types of cancer, environmenal sources, etc) are more likely to develop thyroid cancer, but radiation exposure is not necessary.
It varies. Depending on the type of cancer, different age groups are affected. Follicular carcinoma can be in older age groups, while papillary carcinomas are seen in the 2nd and 3rd decades, and older groups.