Why do I have tender swollen lymph nodes in my neck since yesterday?

Infection? You probably have some form of upper respiratory tract infection, likely viral. Lymph nodes help fight this and enlarge and are tender in the process. Hope you are better soon.
Monitoring Centers. Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food. Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria, viruses, cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.