What could be the cause of my chronic cough? I have GERD which is controlled with protonix (pantoprazole). Tested negative for allergies. Do have sinus congestion.

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Cough

Depends on the pattern of your cough, the 2 other entities that need to be ruled out are asthma and chronic sinusitis.
Reflux can still cause a cough if not well controlled. A visit to the allergist may help elucidate the problem.

In brief: Cough

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Silent GERD?

Even though you feel your gerd is well-controlled, it's possible you are having silent acid reflux at night while you sleep.
This can cause acid to get into your lungs, setting up chronic inflammation and a chronic cough. Try elevating the head of your bed or taking your gerd medication at bedtime. Asthma is another possibility.

In brief: Silent GERD?

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology