I have herpes. Am I at risk for viral meningitis?

Yes, but ... Since herpes simplex virus is a cause of viral meningitis, a person with herpes is at some risk for viral meningitis. However, viral meningitis is not common, can be from other viruses, and some people who get herpes meningitis never had herpes sores before. So, a normal person with herpes should not worry too much about meningitis, since his risk is likely similar to the risk everyone else has.
Local vs meningitis. Herpes is one of many viruses that can show up in different areas depending on the situation.Localized genital or cold sore herpes is common & when they occur they remain limited to the region of their outbreak.Herpes meningoencephalitis occurs in newborns that pass through an infected birth canal and rarely in compromised patients.You could have chronic herpes & get other forms of viral meningiti.