What is selective surgery?

Dr. Valentin Drezaliu

In brief: Elective perhaps?

Elective surgery is a surgery you want to be done without a medical indication.
Plastic surgery falls into this category.

In brief: Elective perhaps?

Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
2 comments
Dr. David Wishnew
Elective, in this sense, means surgery you choose to have. You choose to have a hip replacement, opting as to whether you have it done and when you have it done. Having surgery for a ruptured appendix is NOT elective, but rather emergency surgery or urgent surgery. Certainly, cosmetic surgery falls in this category, but not all Plastic Surgery is elective.
Dr. Charles Breaux
I would say that most "elective" surgery actually has a medical indication. Good examples are inguinal hernia repair and cholecystectomy for mildly symptomatic gallstones. What makes the surgery "elective" is that one can elect to do the surgery sooner or later or not at all. Most such "elective" operations are covered by insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid. I would put cosmetic surgery in a different category altogether. Such procedures are generally not covered by 3rd-party payors. The other category would be urgent or emergent surgery, such as, appendectomy for appendicitis, operation for abdominal gunshot wound, operation for bowel obstruction, etc.