How do you prevent blood clots after surgery for cancer?

Drugs & mobility. Treatment with anti-coagulants, "blood thinners", early mobilization and use of pneumatic compression of calfs are usual preventive measures.
DVT Prophylaxis. While it is true that people with cancer have a higher risk of blood clots, other factors play an important role including the length and type of operation and one's overall health. When the risk is significant, we use blood thinners immediately before and after the operation. With lesser risk, we can use mechanical compression boots, but they are only of limited benefit.
Limit risk. Depending on you risk, your doctor may make recommendations. You should remain active and not sedentery. The more time spent in bed, the higher the risk of blood clots. Compression stockings also decrease risk. The risk remains for about 3-4 weeks after surgery.