If I have chronic pain in my knee should I see my primary care doctor first?

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management
In brief: It Depends
Primary care doctors all have areas of special interest.
If your doctor interest is in muscle and joint disorders, he/she would be able to help, it not you may want to see an orthopedist. I suggest you call the office and ask to speak with the nurse. Ask her if he routinely treats patients with knee pain.

In brief: It Depends
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: A good start
If there is evidence of inflammatory arthritis then you should see a rheumatologist.
If the pcp is uncertain then the rheumatologist can help in making the diagnosis and guiding the pcp on the correct treatment program for you r care.

In brief: A good start
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Jake Heiney
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not always necessary
If your insurance allows, it is recommended that you go ahead and see an orthopaedic surgeon.

In brief: Not always necessary
Dr. Jake Heiney
Dr. Jake Heiney
Dr. Eric Weisman