Is aspirin really the only thing we have to prevent strokes and heart disease?

Not the ONLY. There are many ways to prevent strokes such as weight loss, blood pressure management, correct diet, limit stressful lifestyle, exercise, no smoking, and regular physical examinations by your family md. Regular blood work and evaluation are some of your best tools.
No. For general prevention, it may be more important to modify cholesterol and blood pressure, primarily with proper diet and exercise, than to take aspirin.