What is a major depressive disorder and how is it treated?

Depression. Major depressive disorder is defined by a set of certain symptoms and behaviors listed in the dsm IV manual. If these symptoms are present for a periods of time, then a person may be diagnosed with major depression. It is generally treated with counseling, medication, or a combination of both.
Depressive sx's may. include low mood, irritability, anger, ^ or v sleep, change in appetite, feelings of helplessness or hopelessness, v energy, v self-esteem, feelings of guilt. V motivation, absence of joy,v concentration, v memory & suicidal thoughts. Major depression can be treated with talking therapies and psychiatric medications.