Dvt in calf after ankle arthroscopy. Was on xarelto after surg and compression device used during surgery. Why did i still clot? Need to be concerned?

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

Significant DVT after an ankle arthroscopy is unusual but it happens.
Trauma, immobilization and hematological considers are causes of clotting (virchow's triad). See a hematologist to make sure you do do have an underlying condition that makes you prone to clotting.

Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: DVT

I would have a detailed work up with a hematologist to evaluate for possible hereditary factor deficiencies that may have contributed to your dvt.
Smoking, immobilization, birth control pills are risk factors for blood clots; there are multitude of factor deficiencies that affect the intrinsic and extrinsic pathways of clotting that need to be investigated.

In brief: DVT

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine