What happens if you have a heart attack on an airplane?

Dr. Brian Mott
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Vacation killer

A real heart attack is a medical emergency.
They will land the plane at the nearest airport . If you have a cardiac arrest during a flight you will likely not get any airmiles.

In brief: Vacation killer

Dr. Brian Mott
Dr. Brian Mott
Dr. Allen Seely
Agreed , I attended to someone on a SouthWest flight : the ambulance met us at the door
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Believe it or not...

I've heard of instances where they actually diverted the plane to the nearest airport for the victim! having been called upon on flights to attend a stranger who is ill on a few occasions, i can attest that there is nothing on board (except maybe oxygen if the flight attendant knows how to get to it) that is of any help.
Personally if i suspected an mi, i would ask to have the plane diverted.

In brief: Believe it or not...

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine