I dropped a weight on my foot and my toenail turned black. What will happen now?

In brief: Hematoma

The black discoloration is bleeding.
Initially after such an injury this pool of blood or hematoma can be drained. If it is already dry it may dissolve over several months. If the injury is severe the nail may fall off and you will get a new nail in 4-6 months. In severe cases a doctor may have to remove the nail in order to repair a laceration underneath. X-rays may be needed to rule out fracture.

In brief: Hematoma

The black discoloration is bleeding.
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Depends

If only the nail bed has been injured (and not lacerated) the nail may eventually slough off and be replaced.
However, anytime there is a crushing injury to the toe, you should have this evaluated for fracture and nail bed lacerations; these must be professionally addressed.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel