I'm 50years old, african descent, no family history of prostate cancer. Psa 4.1 but normal digital rectal exam. Is biopsy recommended? Any risk? Thanks

Indication for a prostate biopsy are an abnormal dre or an elevated psa (most common reason).
There is no psa level at which one can absolutely say that prostate cancer is or is not present; only that the higher the psa the greater the probability. Normal/average psa for age 50: ~0.7. Chance of fnding pca on bx with psa 4.1: ~25-35%. Risks of bx: infection, bleeding, pain, urinary retention.

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Elevated PSA

In my practice i would repeat the test in six weeks before sending you off to have an ultrasound or biopsy.
Most mildly elevated psas are due to inflammation and/or infection and not to cancer.

In brief: Elevated PSA

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Steven Seres