What does witchhazel do for hemorrhoids?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Depends

Witch hazel is supposed to sooth and reduce irritation.
Unfortunately, over time many people will develop and skin sensitivity to witch hazel, like a contact dermatitis, so repeated use actually makes the problem worse. I do not recommend using any agent be it moisit wipes, cream etc, with witch hazel as an ingredient.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Gentle clean & sooth

Witch hazel, an astringent from the bark of hamamelis plant, is found in many over the counter hemorrhoid preps.
Its effectiveness; it transforms/sooths the itchy thin skin, over the venous pressurized, irritated and dilated hemorroid. Rough scratching, or large caliber, hard stools can lead to even more irritation and bleeding.

In brief: Gentle clean & sooth

Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg