My mother told me she had a baby with a trisome that she took home to die before I was born. That sounded so sad! why did they do that? She never told me.

Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Kindness
Some genetic conditions are incompatible with life and based on your question we can assume there was nothing else they could do to help the baby.
Your mom had carried and loved this child for 9 months. While it was hard, she did get to have her child at home and bond and love that child til it was time to go. A profoundly bittersweet experience. Ask her if she wants to share more with you.

In brief: Kindness
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Jonathan Jassey