What is the flu?

A nasty virus. "flu" is often applied to any virus kids get, (like "stomach flu") but specifically it refers to influenza virus, a respiratory virus that causes cough, fever, fatigue, vomiting, and sometimes lower respiratory issues like bronchitis and pneumonia. There can be a high fever, chills, and dehydration lasting 3-4 days, and a week or two of fatigue afterwards. Only protection is vaccination.
Viral infection. Flu or influenza is a contagious viral infection that generally occurs in the winter. It is a respiratory virus that generally makes children sicker that a typical cold. Complications as ear infections and pneumonia are common. Fortunately an immunization can help prevent this illness. Symptoms often include fever, coughing, and malaise (aching all over).