Is electric toothbrush better than manual for removing plaque?

Easier. It definately makes it easier to remove the plaque. The mouth feel after using one is actually encouraging enough to make you want to brush mor consistently.
Yes and no. It really depends on how you look at. It is possible to brush your teeth as effectively as battery powered brushes, however, brushes like the sonicare do most of the work for you. Plus, they can motivate you to brush more regularly than a with a standard toothbrush, which is always better in my book.