Sister was told her body wasnt breaking down sugar the way its supposed too. I was wondering what exactly that means?

Dr. Satinder Aggarwal

In brief: Possibly Diabetes

In diabetics body can't utilise Insulin because of Insulin resistance.
Insulin is needed for body to utilise blood sugar so if Insulin cannot function properly .Body cannot use sugar and blood sugar goes high.

In brief: Possibly Diabetes

Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Dr. Hanford Brace

In brief: Diabetes

If this was related to a blood test report your sister should see if she is a diabetic.
An A1c test can be done easily. If she is pregnant the doctor may feel it is gestatational diabetes. None the less, she should have the doctor explain why he said what he did and if more testing is needed.

In brief: Diabetes

Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Hanford Brace
Allison Greco
General Practice

In brief: It depends

There are multiple enzyme deficiencies that change the way the body breaks down sugar.
Diabetes is a common condition where the body does not use sugar correctly. Your sister may experience different symptoms based upon exactly what is missing or not functioning properly. These symptoms may also be more or less severe (and require treatment or dietary changes) depending on exactly whats going on.

In brief: It depends

Allison Greco
Allison Greco
Answer assisted by Allison Greco, Medical Student
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: What does he mean!

I am assuming she is in a metabolic syndrome situation.
There is a paradox: both hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia are warning signs for metabolic syndrome, and are indicators of Insulin resistance and (earlier in the condition, over secretion of massive quantities of insulin, which can cause hypoglycemia. Sugar is not broken down. Glucose is glucose. Dextrose and lactose are a little different!

In brief: What does he mean!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Funny statement..

In brief: Funny statement..

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Too broad a ??

In brief: Too broad a ??

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Peter Kurzweil