I was cleaning my bedroom and made a mixture of bleach and vinegar to do so. Now my thoat is scratchy and I coughing. What should I do?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NO BLEACH COMBO's

Do not combine bleach (hypochlorite) with ammonia or acids! bleach combines with acids (e.
g., vinegar, lemon juice) or certain bases (e.g., ammonia, drain cleaner) to release chlorine and chloramine vapors! these vapors can burn mucous membranes! you should be seen.

In brief: NO BLEACH COMBO's

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Fresh air...

The most important thing is to stop using these chemicals and open some windows or go outside.
If this doesn't help, or if shortness of breath develops, call your doctor or go to the er. Chemicals for cleaning should always be used in a well ventilated area and this mixture should be avoided in the future.

In brief: Fresh air...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology