I flew on friday and had horrible pain in my sinuses. Now when I swallow my left ear makes a tweet sound like a bird. Please advise. Hurts a little...?

Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Sinus pressure

You may still be having sinus pressure and clogging / buildup.
You might try a degongestant if your sinuses feel clogged. If it does not improve in 3-5 days, see your md for an evaluation of the ear canal and sinuses. The muscles in the back of your throat / roof of mouth/soft palate have connections to your ear, so when you swallow, you put tension on them.

In brief: Sinus pressure

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Malinda Linn

In brief: Pressure

There is fluid behind the ears, which increases during flight, causing a lot of pressure.
Swallowing helps to decrease the pressure and the sound is this release. Think of barometric pressure. When this goes up the atmosphere is "thicker." the same with sinuses. A nasal steroid prescription spray can help along with taking a decongestant. See your doctor to be sure your eardrum is healthy.

In brief: Pressure

Dr. Malinda Linn
Dr. Malinda Linn
Dr. Peter Kurzweil