I'm on medication for depression and I was wondering if depression goes away or will I always have it and have to be on medication for it?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: 4ever=NOT depressed
Usually an initial major depressive episode is attributed to adverse life events.
Once those events have resolved you should be able to 'ween off' medication. It is recommended to stay on medication for at least 6 months in order to prevent 'slipping back' in to depression--but discuss with your doctor. If you have multiple episodes of depression-chances increase that you'll need chronic meds.

In brief: 4ever=NOT depressed
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Chris Esguerra
In brief: Depression=Episodic
Major depression, in general, is episodic--it comes and eventually goes away.
The risk for future depressive episodes increase the more episodes you have. If you are being treated for your first episode, you can usually be off medications once symptom-free for 6-12 months. Your risk of another depression is high after 3 episodes and lifelong medication to prevent may be needed.

In brief: Depression=Episodic
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra