Should I apply ice directly to my skin if jaw pain?

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: No, but

No, follow the instructions by the other docs here so far. But, make sure you treat the cause of the jaw pain.
Dental infection? Trauma? TMJ problem. Get proper advice about your problem from an oral surgeon.

In brief: No, but

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jacqueline Calkin
Dermatology

In brief: Icing for pain

There is ordinarily no problem with the skin when you are icing a joint for pain.
I typically recommend using a bag of frozen peas or corn or a gel ice pack made especially for molding to the skin. Try and limit the icing to 10 minutes out of each hour.

In brief: Icing for pain

Dr. Jacqueline Calkin
Dr. Jacqueline Calkin
Dr. Scott Williams
Dentistry

In brief: No-not directly

Ice placed directly on the skin can actually give you frost bite in that area.
If you want to apply cold use a moistened towel or something similar with an ice pack etc wrapped in it. Go about 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off with the cold compress.

In brief: No-not directly

Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Scott Williams