How can I know if my child has a cold or if he has a flu?

In brief: Is it the Flu ?
Generally, cold symptoms are mild, with a gradual onset of sneezing, runny nose, sore throat and cough.
Children may not even have a fever. The flu in contrast has an abrupt onset with fever, body aches, headache and few if any nasal symptoms, and makes kids feel and look allot sicker. To avoid the flu, do not forget to protect your family with a yearly flu vaccine!

In brief: Is it the Flu ?
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Jason Perkel
In brief: Severity level
The influenza virus will cause high fevers, body aches, harsh cough, headache, fatigue, occasionally vomiting and diarrhea.
Typically, it lasts up to 5-10 days. A common cold tends to be milder, may or may not have fever, may have runny nose, cough, sore throat, headache.

In brief: Severity level
Dr. Jason Perkel
Dr. Jason Perkel
Dr. Shontae Buffington