What occurs in a hospital during a natural disaster?

Planning. Every hospital has an emergency response plan. Just as they are able to plan for more than the usual number of injured in case of an accident, they have plans for loss of light, water and communication. Backup generators will keep things running as calmly as possible. If people are not safe to stay in the hospital, they will be relocated to safe locatiions.
A lot!!! Depending on the disaster, a hospital is going to be an extremely busy place, and requires a well organized staff and plan of action. First, the wounded need to be triaged (the most ill are seen first, and people with minor injuries are usually left in a waiting area), there needs to be crowd control, as people are looking for loved ones, and there needs to be a good team doing logistics.
Hospital & disaster. Many problems 4 hosp with a cat 5 hurricane that hit Miami or Katrina. Electricity goes out. Back up generators are hopefully not in basement as they drown and everything is dark. In Miami whit was a prob.Those generators that work may run out of gas. All electronic/manual BP devices flooded in Katrina so no BP equip that worked for example.If on respirator use hand bag. Newer regulations better.
Call hospital. Every hospital will have a different protocol. Some would have a skeleton crew and available for emergencies only, while others may be completely staffed. Call your local facility in advance. Listen to the emergency personnel, if they want you to leave, please do so.
Hospital disasters. I guess you mean when a disaster has involved the immediate vicinity of the hospital. Most hospitals these days have a disaster planning team that puts together a protocol for dealing with natural disasters and such. Assuming worst care scenario the hospital will have to mobilize local ambulance services to move the patients to safer facilities.
Depends. Hospitals in most populated areas are among the most well protected and prepared places in the area. Obviously, in very poor or isolated places, even that is not a lot! They usually have adequate generators for power and meet strict standards for construction. Ask the administrators for info if you have a need to know.
In order to be. accredited, a hospital has to have a Disaster Plan in place. It outlines how everyone should respond from the housekeepers, to the nurses, to the dietary department, to the physicians, etc. Variations are planned based on the type of disaster: earthquake, tornado, and, also, unfortunately, terrorism.Keeping patients safe is the highest priority. Hospitals practice this plan to enhance preparedness.
Disasters. Hospital have Disaster preparedness plans in place and we practice (drills) periodically on how to handle disasters in the same way that we practice on how deal with emergencies (code blue) or fire (code red)
Emergency plan. An emergency activation plan will call all necessary personnel back to the hospital and may be coordinated with a regional Emergency Operations Center that coordinates several hospitals in the area triaging emergency cases to be sent to the hospital best equipped to handle that specific emergency case.
Drills. Hospitals schedule periodic drills designed to train their personnel on what to do in the case of disasters where scores of people are brought to the emergency room at one time. Each of the personnel are given specific stations and training on triage and rendering care thereby making confusion and chaos less likely.
Depends. In Jan. 1968 I got no sleep for a week because of the Tet offensive. Another time there was a typhoon and I mostly played cards for 5 days.
We do our jobs. Everyone in the hospital has a specific job designated by the disaster plan. For instance, my job as a hospitalist is to discharge everyone who can possibly go home as quickly as possible. Of course, the surgeon is required to be ready to go straight to the OR as soon as people arrive who need them. Hospitals practice for disaster all the time -- I just did last week. We are ready for disaster.
Treatment. Patients who are injured are treated by the physicians and nurses on staff.
Competence. Hospital personnel prepare for natural disasters by holding periodic drills/learning exercises/symposiums. When the need arises all that training is put into action. The hospital is staffed with highly trained, experienced, knowledgeable personnel who are there to resolve all of your medical needs.
Drills. Hospitals have emergency drills for many different scenarios, including natural disasters such as tornadoes, earthquakes, or snow storms. They are required training for all hospital staff.