I have a compromised immune system, am I am I more susceptible for staph infections?

Dr. Brant Ward
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: It depends...

...On how your immune system is compromised.
If you take medication to suppress your immune system (e.g. Prednisone), then you may be at greater risk. Some immune deficiencies may increase risk for staph, while others may increase risk for different infections (not caused by staph). You should discuss your concerns with a clinical immunologist.

In brief: It depends...

Dr. Brant Ward
Dr. Brant Ward
Dr. Marcus Degraw

Yes, a compromised immune system can put you at risk for any type of infection.
There are specific types of immune dysfunction that might put you at risk for only specific types of infection, but an overall compromise of immune function might put you at risk for any infection.

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw