My 4 1/2 month old can roll both ways. Insists on sleeping on her side. I'm scared of sids. Do i need to turn her on her back?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: SIDS

By 4-5 months you baby is mobile enough so that sleeping on her side shouldn't be a problem.

In brief: SIDS

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
There are no guarantees in life, but parents should not go through life worrying about all the things that could possibly happen to their children. When babies are old enough to roll over onto their tummies, nobody should be watching for that event just to flip them over.

In brief: Common question

The frequency of sids declines rapidly before infants develop more mobility(turn over).
As a practical matter, always put baby on its back to sleep, but i would never get up and re-position baby in the night to deal with this obsession. Researchers use the sids label for sudden unexpected deaths within the 1st year, but that does not mean you must tie baby down on its back for this time frame.

In brief: Common question

Dr. Cindy Juster