Had my ureter stent taken out today. I am in severe pain. I have had stents before but after they come out I am normally fine. What can I do to help?

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Call doctor

You should contact the doctor who removed the stent as soon as possible! if not go to the emergency room.

In brief: Call doctor

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. James Krick
Urology

In brief: Stents

It is not uncommon for a patient to have significant ureteral spasms following removal of the stent.
Symptoms of this are identical to the passage of a stone. You should discuss this with your urologist. There are prescription medications that can be used to calm the ureter in such a situation.

In brief: Stents

Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick
Dr. Vikram Patel