Salmonella has given me bad diarrhea. Should I take imodium (loperamide)?

Mike Moore

In brief: No

If you have diarrhea from salmonella, you can take clear liquids and a bland diet until the diarrhea resolves.
You should not take imodium, (loperamide) as it will hold the bacteria in with the stool and cause your body to take extra time to clear it out of your system. If you develop fever, abdominal pain or blood in the stool you should see a doctor right away.

In brief: No

Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice

In brief: NO

Salmonella will pass through you quickly.
You dont want to slow down the intestinal tract and keep it around any longer than necessary. Just drink plenty of fluids and keep up with fluid losses.

In brief: NO

Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine