What can be expected after orthognathic jaw surgery to correct underbite?

Ask your Surgeon. We have limited space to answer these types of questions and each case is different. With this extensive a procedure, this is something that you should have a sit down one on one discussion with not only the surgeon, but all other dentists involved (for example-orthodontist and general dentist). Good luck.
Depends. Depends ion the type of surgery (there are many choices), how well the Orthodontic Specialist set up your "bite" for post-surgical fit, your overall health, your oral hygiene, and many other variables. Sit down with your Oral Surgeon to go over the anticipated surgery & post-op healing. Sit down w Orthodontist to discuss post-op finishing. Sit down w General Dentist to discuss tooth/bone repair.
Improvement. Improvement in bite and jaw line. Mild-moderate swelling and discomfort. Ask your oral surgeon for very specific outline.
Jaws were moved! Your orthognatic surgery implied that the position of your jaw(s) were not normal including the underbite. If bone was removed from your maxilla , the correction is to be expected. Your orthodontist and surgeon planned to cut or add bone and fix your jaw(s) to the right position, including your bite.