Should I get the aspiration for my ganglion cyst or try to smash it myself?

Depends. If it doesn't bother you than just leave it alone. If it does then let your doc try an aspriation. I don't recommend smashing them.
See doctor. Usually need surgery to remove sac of cyst to get rid of permanently. Aspiration can reduce size, though it may recur. Same with smashing it, but with the risk of injuring yourself. Whatever you choose to do, think it through first. If you break skin, run risk of infection also, so should be done in sterile setting.
Aspiration. Smashing it rarely works and is usually painful whether it works or not. Aspiration works to drain the cyst, but it is highly likely to return. The best treatment with the least chance for it to return is surgical excision.