I live I a rural community, am I more likely to get the plague?

In brief: Possible

Remember that plague is carried by squirrels, rats, and occasional other wild critters, even rabbits which some folks hunt and eat.
Key thing is to be aware of the fleas these creatures harbor, but otherwise not really a huge risk.

In brief: Possible

In brief: Yes, if in the U.S.

Plague cases in the U.
S. number about 10-15 per year, and are usually in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona. Cases are due to bites from infected fleas or infected rats and other animals. This would mean a rural setting in the U.S.. Urban areas with poor sanitation, overcrowding, and a high rat population are potential plague situations, but urban outbreaks have not been occurring in the U.S.

In brief: Yes, if in the U.S.

Plague cases in the U.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian