Manic depressive disorder vs major depression, what is the difference?

These are different. Diagnosis. People with depression may have bouts with depression followed by periods when they are less depressed. They do not have manic episodes. Bipolar disorder is a physical illness like diabetes that does not go away, it simply can be controlled using and adjusting the proper medication throughout your life. Having a good psychotherapist and psychiatrist is imperative. I hope this helps.
Diagnosis. Major depressive disorder is characterized by depressive symptoms that negatively effect quality of life. Manic depressive disorder is a historical term for what is now bipolar effective disorder. This may include episodes of depression but is characterized by episodes of mania To stay consistent some refer to major depressive disorder as unipolar depression. .
Bipolar. Manic depression, known clinically as Bipolar I and bipolar II, In the first, manic phases are more severe, and in the second, depressive phases are more severe. There is also cyclothymia which is a low grade version of bipolar disorder in general, where mood swings are not as severe in either direction, manic or depressive. Major depressive disorder is only major depression, without any mania.